Thursday, January 14, 2010

For my fellow Yardies

I work with many guys that are from Haiti at Yardhouse, and am one of the only ones at my work that can speak to them a little bit in French, since they speak Creole and a lot of the words are similar. I was speaking to two of my favorites, Jean and Natan, about their situation yesterday.
Natan, who is usually so bubbly and happy, yelling "eyyy baybyyy" everytime he comes around the corner, was gloomy and quiet the whole shift.
The only thing he said to me was "Je ne sais pas si ma famille est morte ou vivante."
[I don't know if my family is dead or alive.]
I am so thankful to be in the situation I am now. Even if a natural disaster were to happen here, there would be someone to help merely because we have money, and deaths would be drastically less.
You can help the relief and search efforts by donating to the American Red Cross in a text message. Simply text 'Haiti' to 90999 to donate $10, as many times as you want, or you can go to Redcross.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment